NW Salmon Derby
The Everett No-Coho Blackmouth Derby was held Nov. 4-5 that drew 499 anglers who caught 109 chinook averaging 6.22 pounds (146 fish were caught last year averaging 6.55 pounds). About 70 percent of the fish were caught on first day due to the lousy weather conditions by second day. The winner was Adam Burke who caught an 11.89 chinook and took home a check for $4,000.
The winner of the Northwest Salmon Derby Series grand prize $85,000 fully-loaded Hewescraft boat with Honda motors went to Gary March of Worley, Idaho who fished earlier this summer in The Big One Salmon Derby on Lake Coeur d’Alene. In all more than 4,000 anglers were entered in 14 derbies. The story on March is truly a must read, and can be found at NMTA’s Blog.
Looking toward 2018 we’ve got some exciting news as we introduce a derby to the series, and our new grand prize boat will be a KingFisher 2025 Falcon Series powered with a Honda 150hp and 9.9hp trolling motors on a EZ-loader galvanized trailer and fully rigged with Scotty downriggers, Raymarine electronics, WhoDat Tower and a Dual Electronics Stereo—a $65,000 value.
The 15 derbies in the series starts off with the Resurrection Salmon Derby on Jan. 5-7 in Anacortes.
Here is the 2018 Northwest Salmon Derby Series schedule:
- Resurrection Salmon Derby January 5-7
- Roche Harbor Salmon Classic Jan. 18-20
- Friday Harbor Salmon Classic Feb. 8-10
- Olympic Peninsula Salmon Derby March 9-11
- Everett Blackmouth Derby March 17-18
- Bellingham Salmon Derby July 13-15
- The Big One Salmon Derby July 25-29
- Brewster Salmon Derby August 2-5
- South King County PSA Derby August 4
- Gig Harbor PSA Derby August 11
- Vancouver, B.C., Canada Chinook Classic August 18-19
- Edmonds Coho Derby September 8 (Depends on season setting process)
- Columbia River Fall Salmon Derby September 8